“When your maturity is not strong enough to change something, add external structure.” –Henry Cloud
- Continue to procrastinate on exercise? Make an appointment with a trainer or a friend to exercise with.
- Want to stop eating cookies and ice cream for evening snacks? Don't buy them and have them in the house.
- Trying to stop spending money on items that would be cool to have? Don't go shopping as entertainment.
This method has potential to move you from where you are to where you want to be.
However, there are two ways people tend to interrupt it.
- I've heard people say, "I should be able to do this on my own! I should be able to control myself. I should have known better." In other words, they should all over themselves.
- They cancel or don't show up for the exercise dates; cookies and ice cream stuff come in bulk at social events, fast food or convenience store stops; and online shopping is always present to drain the wallet. In other words, they sabotage their own progress.
The whole idea is to face reality. Accept where you are. Do what you need to move forward, and adjust as you go.