People need help. Giving to others is just good to do. It helps us get over ourselves.
We just finished the Season of Giving. Deciding from all the worthwhile causes isn't easy. Here are things we consider.
- Try to sell or manipulate us.
- Add us to your mailing lists. If we gave to you freely, don't start asking now!
- Tell us we are special, important, valued, or significant. We get it.
- Treat us respectfully.
- Be transparent. Tell us what you do, your purpose, and we'll decide if we want to support it.
- Use the money wisely to help people. We get that you have to pay for salaries, lights, etc. Be smart.
- Let a simple, "Thanks for the help," be sufficient.
If you're being told that you'll get something in return for a donation, run! We stop reading, turn off the tv, or close the web browser. Good liars suck you in to buying their load of crap. It's wrong, but it happens. Try to learn from it.
There are still good people who need help. Find them.